Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Y: The Last Man and Stuff...

Today I got snowed in. Living where I live, it happens pretty often. So I decided to catch up on a little bit of reading. I finished reading the first 3 trades of Y: The Last Man. Yes it's a comic book. If you don't believe me you obviously missed the Nerd Girl part of my blog title. Anyway, I really liked it. I suppose I have been spoiled in the comics that I have read. Like only drinking the best tequila from the get go and then wondering how people can stomach the cheap shit. Y: The Last Man, if you haven't read it, is about what the world would be like if all of the men were mysteriously wiped out in 1 day and there was only 1 man left. It poses some interesting questions, like what ado we really need men for? Why is there only one man left? Are women really just catty bitches that would self destruct in a matter of days? It's odd but that argument reminds me of a group of male artists (see: Futurism), around the time of women's suffrage in the early 20th century, supported woman voting not because they thought women should have a fair voice, but because they were anarchists and believed that if women got the vote they would vote for stupid, petty things and the world would unravel in a matter of years. Anyway, there is a fair amount of man hating in the book. Women saying its a blessing that they oppressive men are gone, that kind of thing, but there are also a lot of the women who miss men. There is even a conversation about how several of the great bands of history are gone. The Rolling Stones, U2, The Who, The Eels and REM. The story is wonderfully entertaining and deep. It contains themes of a mature nature. It's not only that people get naked and say fuck (yes you can say fuck in a comic book), but it includes jokes that only a person with a mature mind can get. Case in point, when speaking to his bodyguard, Yorick asks if her can call her Al. Come on what Spider-Man loving 13-year-old is gonna get that joke? What I wonder is how the extinction of man would affect porn. In the story, there is no electricity but strip clubs were probably still rocking hard. Would there be a market for strippers in a male-less world? I know there are plenty of lesbians out there, but I don't know. It just seems weird. The men we make porn for are just as important in the porn equation as the people who star in it. I still have a bunch of individual issues to read but I must say I am totally hooked, and no not just by Yorick's cute little monkey. :)

I also finished 3 trades of House of Mystery. I like Fables, and a number of people who helped create that series made House of Mystery with the same company, Vertigo. It is a fun mix of sci-fi, fantasy, mystery and mythology. I don't really know how to explain it. It's like trying to explain 5 seasons of Lost to someone who's only seen the premiere of season 6. All I can really say is I am eager to read more and you should pick it up.

Speaking of Lost, I watched the new episode today and was irritated with how short it seemed. Maybe it's because I was watching 4-6 episodes a day a couple of weeks ago. Maybe it just seems like very little happened in the episode. I don't want to ruin it for those of you that haven't seen it yet, but I suppose its not the best Lost episodes ever. Still worth watching.

So the snow is till coming down pretty hard and I think I am going to cuddle up with a cup of chai latte and some more comics and call it a night. Tomorrow I have fem dom homework to do: watching videos, tying up balls and all that. I will definitely let you know how that goes. :)

XOXO
Clayra Beau

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner